Wednesday, 1 April 2020

Assign Number to Teams Resource Accounts

This has been bugging me for awhile, I wasn't able to assign a number to a resource account that had been created for a Teams AA or CQ.  When trying to assign via Teams Admin Centre (TAC) I was able to search for the number but it was ALWAYS displaying the "No results were found" error.




Turns out I had set the location of the users licence to "United States", once this was change to "Australia" i was able to assign the phone number.



I spent way to much time trying to figure this one out, so hopefully this serves as a reminder..

M365 Call Flow Visualizer

This is a port so that I remember where to find the scripts.. https://github.com/mozziemozz/M365CallFlowVisualizer Shout out to the author: ...